Sunday, May 22, 2011

Workshop

Saturday was spent cashing in my Mother's Day gift! I basically told Kris that for mom's day he was giving me a workshop with my favorite photographer, Heather Essian! She hosted her first ever "mom's and their big ole' camera's" workshop. We splurged on our Canon dslr right around Elly's one year birthday. I have taught myself what I know and feel like I can take a pretty good picture :)  For the most part, my camera would stay set on automatic. There is SO much it can do that it can be quite overwhelming! You push a button and all kinds of crazy numbers and letters will pop up on the screen. I just stayed away from all the buttons except the ones that I knew how to use! Heather covered all the basics needed to get the most out of those "big ole' cameras" that we spend ALL that money on. I am pleased to announce that I officially know what ISO, aperture and white balance mean AND I can adjust them to make my pictures even better :)

I love using the light inside my house to snap pics of the girls. It can be tricky if there's not enough natural light. I now know how to set the white balance when my pics get that blue tint that would ruin so many of my pictures! See the difference below...

Moved Emma next to the window to get a little more light... 
Changed the WB a little bit to get a warmer color

I'm such a sucker for anything with a monogram :) Sweet gift from Sara Lasater

Thanks Heather for sharing your knowledge with all us mommy's!

1 comment:

Kate and Geoff said...

Beautiful!!! I want a big ole camera now:)