Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Tummy???

A little advice from all you mommy's out there...

I have been trying desperately, with no avail, to get Elly to nap in her crib. I just can't get her to stay down once I put her in! I get maybe 10 minutes and then she's up, wide awake and ready to play. She's up for about 30 mins and then gets cranky because she is tired. The only way I have been able to get her to sleep for any amount of time is if she is in her beloved swing. I'm worried that I am creating a "swing monster" and that I won't be able to break this habit. I have had two friends tell me that the answer is to let her nap on her tummy. I tried this today and we are now going on a two hour nap! Too bad I haven't gotten anything done because I have been planted next to her crib watching her breath! She has moved from side to side and has no problem lifting her head, but I keep going back to everything I have read and what my Dr. always says..."Be sure to put her on her back to sleep!!!" So, all you mommy's out there, honest opinions please, am I a bad mommy for letting my (almost) 3 month old nap on her tummy?????

Nothing sweeter than a sleeping baby!! Well...maybe a smiling baby :)
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Jen said...

Hey Hayley! I found you through Caroline and love seeing new pics of your precious baby girl! Just wanted to tell you that both of my girls were tummy sleepers. It is nerve wrecking and I totally understand your fears. As long as you keep her sleeping area free of blankets and animals and peek in on her occassionally it'll be fine. You could try swaddling and a side positioner. That tricked my second and led to great sleeping too! Good Luck!

caroline said...

Remember when you came to visit when Nathan was new- newborn?? I remember putting him to sleep on his tummy in the pack n play in the family room while we sat right there watching a movie and I seriously stood up to check on him like every 5 minutes...I remember thinking you probably thought I was nuts!! So I understand your worry, too!
Having said that, though, I learned early on that Nathan was definitely a tummy sleeper and I let him sleep that way....but I was too nervous at night to do it so I used the Miracle Blanket swaddle until he was like 6+ months old! It worked like magic and I didn't have to worry....it's seriously worth every penny!

Or you could always buy the Angel monitor that detects subtle movements on the crib mattress (such as breathing) and will alarm if she ever stopped breathing....for the extra paranoid moms ;)

Megan said...

Our doctor said to do whatever works to get her to sleep. She hates her belly so that was not an option for us but we did swaddle her until this week.

They're much happier when they get some sleep!

Hayley said...

Thanks everyone!! We are on tummy nap number two as I type this...

two in fourteen months said...

I am a little late to this post....both Izzy and Annie are tummy sleepers. With Izzy I was paranoid and at 3 mo. tried it out for naps and gradually quit checking on her every 30 minutes at night. Then came Annie and I waited could barely wait the eight weeks until I felt confident she could lift her head and reposition herself to sleep on her tummy. And at 8 weeks she began sleeping through the night! I also used the swaddle blanket with Annie and it worked miracles...now at 6days old Mari is swaddled at night and I am having to set my timer to wake her to feed at least once a night.....

2nd bit of advise...don't tell Elly's pediatrian...I received a stern lecture and a book of "sleep help sheets"!